Sunday, December 16, 2012

Challenges of a new path

I used to love starting a new adventure. Not knowing where you will go or what lies ahead, but as I'm getting older, I'm learning that I don't like to play it by ear anymore. No, I would rather have things planned out. Have a back up plan--a plan B, C, D, and sometimes even E. Things worked out better for me and our family when I had a plan. Grant it, now I know that when I made the plans, it made my husband feel insignificant and de-masculinized. I started doing more things his way. Well, his way is fly by the seat of your pants and pray to God that everything works out. Yeah. Well, I decided that we are going to start to plan things out. I will work hard to not make plans and decide things for him but to discuss it before hand. 

I attempted this tonight. I talked to Tim about how he was going to work through his schooling issues. He told me his plan. He's going to talk to the professor about his grade and the lack of communication. See if the prof will allow him to take the quizzes again. I doubt this will happen. I used to work with his prof and this guy is a genuine asshole. He thinks the world revolves around his class. He is a gift to higher education because he worked the private sector for a number of years before becoming a prof. I don't think Tim will get anywhere with him. That's Tim's plan A.
Plan B is to speak with his adviser (who is also the Director of the Criminal Justice Program) about what to do and Tim prays that Bob will make an exception or help him in some other way. Bob may try but I don't think Bob will make an exception--not even for one of his favorite students. Bob is a great guy and he does make exceptions (he has for Tim in the past, but this isn't like changing a high D to a solid C). This would be like changing an F to a solid C or making an exception to the V170 course for graduation requirements. I honestly don't see either one happening. I think Tim's Plan B is shot too. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to rain on his parade. But I can already feel the drizzle from other people. I hope, beyond all hope that one of those tactics work. But let's be realistic here...that's making quite an exception for some pretty crappy work. 

Tim did listen to the few plans, I can up with. He said that if neither of his plans work, he will figure out which one of my many plans, he will use. At least, he listened to what I had to say. I wasn't pushy. Believe me, that is a first for me. 

Now, we wait. Wait for Monday when either Bob gets back with Tim or Tim calls Financial Aid to figure out what his options are.   

No comments:

Post a Comment